The bags are packed. The gas tank is full. The plans are made. When the alarm goes off tomorrow morning, you, your husband, and your two teenage daughters are all heading out for a family vacation. With both of your daughters getting older, these family vacations are fewer and farther in between.
For this family camping trip, you are staying at two of your favorite local camping sites, as well as one of the Wisconsin campgrounds that you have always wanted to visit. The Wisconsin site is more of a camp resort than a traditional campsite. You have this treat saved for the end of the trip, just in case the four of you are growing weary of the trip. You know that your daughters will enjoy the wave pool and the lazy river and your husband is looking forward to the driving range. As for you, the opportunity to read a book next to the pool will be like the perfect ending fo a great family vacation.
How Long Has It Been Since You Took a Family Vacation?
- The 2014 American Camper Report reported that 40.1 million Americans, which is 14% of the U.S. population over age six, went camping in the year 2013.
- Having reservations ahead of time, especially during the busy summer months, is often a good idea. In fact, camping spots at some of the best campgrounds are often booked as much as a year in advance.
- Estimates indicate that 87% of campers participated in multiple outdoor activities when they were on their camping trips of family vacations.
- Popularity is one of the reasons that many people continue to camp. In fact, family camping vacations are one of the most popular choices for Americans as they spent nearly 534.9 million days camping altogether in 2011
- Liking the outdoors is obviously an important prerequisite for going camping. Did you know, for instance, the number of people who went hiking or backpacking during the 12 months of 2013 amounted to 29.23 million? By Spring 2014, there were 38.05 million people who had gone hiking or backpacking in the last 12 months.
- Approximately 85% of current camping participants took their first trip between birth and age 15. After age 15, the chances of being introduced to camping were slim. Another indicator of someone enjoying camping as an adult is being exposed to lots of outdoor activities as children, In fact, 57% of campers participated in regular outdoor activities as children, while only 25% of non-participants were exposed to the outdoors when they were children.
- Not all camping occurs at the top private camping resorts. In fact, nearly 70% is done in public campgrounds. Some families like the public campgrounds so much, in fact, that they are determined to make an outing a yearly event after they experience family vacation campgrounds the very first time.
- Surveyed campers indicated that the overwhelming majority plan an average of 4.9 camping trips. In fact, 66% indicate that they are planning three or more trips.
- Approximately 13% of adult participants indicated that they went camping because they wanted to spend more time with their families.
- Relaxing by a lake is the perfect way to spend a family vacation. The kids can enjoy a variety of water sports, dad can fish, and mom can relax and read a book
- Estimations indicate that approximately 40 million people went camping for a total of 515 million outings in the year 2010 alone.
- Making the plans for a camping trip does not have to be a one person job. In fact, many families allow their children to participate in the entire planning process. From picking the destination to planning the menus, camping is even more fun when everyone is invested in the adventure.
- As many as 12% of adult participants indicate that they first went camping with their immediate family.
- Do you have your summer vacation plans made? If not, maybe it is time to get out the tent, the sleeping bags, and hit the road! Who knows? Maybe it is time to invest in a camper so it is even easier to hit the road when everyone frees their schedule for a family vacation.
- Everyone deserves a break from the 24/7 connection that we have with technology. Camping may be the perfect solution.